In March 1928, the predecessor of SIMIT, the Engineering Group of the Institute of Physics and Chemistry Experiment, Academia Sinica, came into being at 899 Xiafei Road, Shanghai. In July of the same year, it was reorganized as the National Research Institute of Engineering, Academia Sinica, focusing its research on metallurgy and ceramics.
In 1945, it resumed the name of the National Research Institute of Engineering, Academia Sinica.
In 1949, the Institute was named as the Engineering Lab, CAS.
In 1953, it changed its name to the Institute of Metallurgy and Ceramics, CAS.Before 1959, several of its labs had been split off to establish 3 new institutes: the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, CAS (Changsha), the Institute of Metallurgy and Ceramics (Kunming), and the Institute of Ceramics Chemistry and Engineering, CAS (Shanghai).
In 1959, it assumed the name of the Institute of Metallurgy, CAS.
In 1970, it was renamed Shanghai Institute of Metallurgy, CAS.
In 2001, the Institute gained its present name as Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, CAS.